The GRASSI Museum für Angewandte Kunst Leipzig (Museum of Applied Arts) first opened in 1874 as the 'Kunstgewerbemuseum Leipzig' and is Germany's second-oldest museum of applied arts. Today, it is among the most important museums of its kind in Europe. There are more than 90,000 items in the museum's collections – encompassing every material and every epoch, from the ancient to the contemporary.
The collection is particularly strong in the areas of textiles, ceramics and porcelain, furniture, glass, precious and common metals, wooden and stone sculpture, coins, medals, badges and Asian objects. In addition to its presentation of the development of arts and crafts from their origins to the present, the museum also devotes particular attention to the documentation of contemporary applied art. Every October, the Grassi Fair provides the climax of the exhibition year: select artisans, designers, companies and universities from across Europe present their most recent work. Since 1929, the museum has been housed in the 'GRASSI', which it shares with Leipzig's Museum für Völkerkunde (Museum of Ethnography) and the Museum für Musikinstrumente (Museum of Musical Instruments). The building was constructed between 1925 and 1929 as an emphatically functionalist, iron-truss structure featuring understated, geometrical decorative elements drawn from the formal vocabulary of art deco.