Language:Deutsch English

Stiftung Fürst Pückler Museum
Park und Schloß Branitz
Gutshof
Robinienweg 5
03042 Cottbus
Getting here

Opening times
Schloss and Gutshof
1 November – 31 March:
Tuesday – Sunday, 11-17.00
1 April – 31 October: open daily, 10-18.00
Marstall
1 April – 31 October: open daily, 10-18.00

Visitors' services
Tel. +49(0)355 751 50
Fax +49(0)355 751 5230
info@pueckler-museum.de

Website
www.pueckler-museum.de

By Train
DBahn –
         Fürst Pückler Museum Branitz

Stiftung Fürst Pückler Museum Park und Schloß Branitz

Prince Pückler's masterpiece

Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau lived from 1785 to 1871. He was one of Europe's greatest masters of the art of landscape architecture, a dandy, a womaniser, a successful travel writer, a witty guest at social gatherings and a lover of fine food; he also gave his name to an ice cream sundae.
He was over 60 when he began to develop the approximately 600-hectare landscape park, in the tradition of the 'English garden', at Branitz. To realise his masterpiece, he transformed the wasteland of the old Branitz estate into an oasis. For his three-dimensional 'picture gallery', he placed pyramids upon the Lusatian sand, formed hills and brooks, planted countless trees and shrubs and integrated sculptures and architecture into the overall design.
The palace, a late Baroque building, reflects the prince's unusual life. The singular oriental rooms, the library with its valuable collection of books, the music room and the stylish dining room are all particularly worth seeing. The palace also houses an art collection, which includes works by the painter Carl Blechen (1798–1840). Various exhibitions await visitors here and in the outbuildings.



Click here to view photo gallery ( 13 pictures)